Sunday, May 6, 2012

Getting Going with Cloth Diapers


So... long before we even entertained the idea of having kids, I got it into my mind that I wanted to use cloth diapers. My mom had used them for my brother and me, but other than that I knew no one who was presently using them. I figured that I would just make it work when the time arrived. Well as soon as I found out I was pregnant, before we'd shared our good news, even before I'd even tiptoed into the huge world of baby stuff, I announced/asked to my husband "We're going to use cloth diapers, ok?" This question honestly wasn't really a question, but I put it that way to test the waters. To my surprise, Colin was pretty much on board. He had a lot more questions than I had even begun to think about, but we decided to make it work.

I did tons of research and I now know more about cloth diapers then I'd even imagined I would and there are still a few things I don't quite get, like wool covers for example. (More on this later.)

Anyways, I decided that an easy way for us to ensure that we would be able to continue cloth diapering through all stages of a pre-toilet trained toddler was to get diaper service. We are very fortunate to live a city that has diaper service available- Earthy Baby Diaper Service (update: Earthy Baby was bought by Pannalino Diaper Service- I've been super pleased with them!) is fabulous! (If we didn't I would be washing them myself though.) I'm the kind of wife that is great at somethings, but laundry is one of my LAST priorities. Luckily, Colin seems to be ok with this. We tend to put off laundry as long as we can and then once its clean I'm notorious for having 2 baskets of clean laundry sitting about for days. I know, I know it's a bad habit. I'm working on it.  I also was realistic with myself that washing diapers probably would be a higher priority, but not a task I was willing to take on with everything else especially once I went back to work. So our wonderful relationship with our diaper service began! There a bunches of sites out there that can walk you through starting up with cloth diapers (either with a service or self-washing them). After a year of using 99.9% cloth this is what we've found works the best for us.

Here is what our stash includes:

-Diaper Covers: Bummis & Thirsties have been our fav. I'd like to try making them, but haven't found the time to get sewing. Both brands' sizes run different so we used them at different weight stages. The Bummis x-small was perfect for my little 6lb 14oz 21 inch long!!! newborn. Talk about a string bean!

-Fleece liners: Helps to wick away moisture on long car rides and over night.

-Bio-degradable liners: Start using this when you start your babe on solid foods. Up until then all the poops wash right out and you don't have to remove it before washing. I've tried a couple brands- they both worked fine. I think I'll keep buying which ever is cheaper at the time. These you just lift out and plop into the toilet and flush away most of the mess. (Yes, sometimes you still have to rinse off poo that missed the liner, but really it's no worse than wiping up that cute patootie on your baby.)

-Diaper Pail, aka Trash Can with a good lid: Honestly the Simple Human rubbish cans are really nice, but so pricey that I couldn't bring myself to buy one. We use a Safety First diaper pail at my MILs house (she cares for our daughter during the week), but this pail is not big enough to hold a weeks worth of the larger diapers (I think it's only 10gal.). So this is a good purchase (cheap) if you'll be having someone else care for your baby during the day or if you're going to wash your own more than once per week. At our house we picked up a 13 gal. bin at Bed, Bath & Beyond, which is the perfect size for the large wet bag our diapers get delivered in. We also have mini trash can for wipes. (We use disposable wipes. I think this summer we'll switch to cloth, but for now this is what we use.)

-Extra wet bag for the diaper pail at our MILs house makes bringing them home e-a-s-y.

-Wet Bags for your diaper bag 2-3 to rotate. I've been though several kinds and my favorite is the Bummis small wet bag for day trips and the medium one for over night trips. Update: I found some time and made a bunch of wet bags in various sizes from PUL fabric I picked up at JoAnns.

I get most of our Fluff on amazon. The only down side is you can't touch it first, but once you find what you like its easy. Returning stuff to them isn't too tough either. There are several good baby stores in San Diego that carrier CDing supplies, but amazon has just been easier to buy from.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment